Got a lot on my mind with music right now, especially thanks to the recent acquisition of a ticket to my beloved Sasquatch! (Robert Plant! Fuzz! Tame Impala! Hot Chip! Run The Jewels! OHMYGOD I CAN’T LIST THEM ALL).
And then there was the recent broadcast of the yearly fiasco that is the Grammys. Year after year that damn awards show pisses me off, which is actually pretty dumb, considering how little I actually care about, or give credit to, the ceremony.
Last year was the first time since high school I decided to actually give the Grammys a chance, and it was only because QOTSA, NIN, Dave Grohl and Lindsey Buckingham had been announced as performers. And their sets were as badass as expected…until the goddam Grammys decided to end the show and start rolling credits right as QOTSA were playing “My God Is The Sun”. Such disrespect.
That’s why I’m not gonna get too in depth with my musings on this year’s shit show, especially since I obviously didn’t watch the Grammys this weekend. I’ve learned all I wanted to know and so much awful more from all the media outlets these past few days. So let’s just cut it down to this:
- Kanye’s an idiot. Honestly, dude – I’ve stuck with you time and time again, but I do believe you’ve finally pushed me over the edge. Of all the people to steal the spotlight from, you choose Beck? Tacky as hell. At least it did leave us with this absolutely fabulous moment that declares Jay only supports ‘Ye when he knows the cameras are rollin’:
- Obama is the opposite of Kanye. His PSA denouncing rape and domestic violence couldn’t have been broadcast at a better time…unless it would’ve been done during the Super Bowl. Which I didn’t get to watch. Someone please tell me this was broadcast then, too.
- Taylor Swift needs to stop acting 16. Pharrell agrees, too.
- Run the Jewels 2 was the best rap album of 2014. NOT Marshall Mathers 2.
- Paramore is still a band? And worthy of a Grammy? What a great time to stop talking about this stupid goddam awards show…
On that note, let’s celebrate the return of Alabama Shakes! Such a supreme blues/punk/rock quintet…I’ve been lucky to see their awesome explode all over the tiny little stage at Doug Fir, as well as at Sasquatch! And once you’ve seen them close down a show with a Zeppelin cover, you’ll be hooked for life.
That’s why I’m super excited for their sophomore release, due out April 21, especially thanks to this delightful leak:
Mmm…Sound & Color is gonna be so bloody good. But enough of my ramblings…consider tonight’s ample post an apology for my recent lack of blogginess. Here forth, I promise to provide y’all with as much new blog material as I can muster. Cheers ’til then! 🙂 ❤